In order to get the lowest cost car insurance, you need to be a smart consumer and know what you are looking for in your coverage options. A lot of people end up overpaying for their auto insurance policies because they don’t know how to combat the high prices – or in some cases – realize that they can do something about the high rates that they are being charged. The car insurance business is extremely competitive, so chances are that if you are being offered too high of a price from one company, another will give you a lower rate. If you want to make sure that you are getting lower car insurance rates, I have documented some general tips that you should check out and keep in mind.
How To Get The Lowest Cost Car Insurance
1. Compare quotes – You will hear this tip from nearly every single website that discusses auto insurance, but that’s because it’s one of the smartest things to do as a consumer. Whenever you are shopping for car insurance, you will need to make sure that you are getting quotes from different companies so that you can see which one will give you the best deal. It is a pretty simple concept, but you’d be surprised at how many people buy through a certain insurer just because they saw a particular commercial on TV that they thought was funny instead of actually comparing prices.
2. Higher deductibles equal lower prices – If you are able to take a higher deductible on your policy, you could end up cutting a significant percentage of your premium payment. If you are comfortable with raising your deductible, you will certainly end up saving money. Although this option isn’t of interest for everyone, it is something that you can do to save.
3. Switching insurance providers – Is your current car insurance company charging you too much for a policy? Could you get better and cheaper coverage elsewhere? If so, then you likely will want to consider changing insurance companies to a company that offers a more affordable rate.
4. Where do you live? – If you want to guarantee yourself the lowest cost car insurance, you will move to a city where the price is less expensive. People that live in bigger cities like New York City and Los Angeles are certainly going to end up paying more for coverage. When there’s a lot of other drivers on the road and the streets are full of traffic, accidents are more likely to occur; this increases your risk and price of auto insurance.
5. Clean up your driving record – Individuals that made a lot of driving mistakes in the past such as: got a lot of speeding tickets, points taken off of their license, and/or faced other violations should make an attempt to clean up their record. The longer that you stay out of trouble with law enforcement and avoid accidents (e.g. you don’t have to file a car insurance claim), the easier it is to get a lower cost policy.
6. Asking about ways to save money – Probably one of the easiest ways to find out about how you can get the lowest cost auto insurance is by asking your company how to save money. Once you purchase a policy, you will likely be qualified for some types of savings. Although you may only be saving a little bit of money, it all adds up on your premiums and a little bit is better than nothing at all. Common ways to save include: having no claims, a clean driving record, and by taking recommended motorist classes.
7. Consider the lowest cost cars to insure – The highest cost car to insure as of 2010 was the Porsche 911 GT2 two door coupe at nearly $3000 per year (and that’s for a person with a good driving record; I would hate to see the price for a person with a few accidents on their record). Among the least expensive cars to insure in 2010 was the Mazda Tribute I SUV, so consider a vehicle like this if you want to cut back on costs. Check with your insurers to find out more information if you want to know how much a certain vehicle is going to cost for insurance before buying it.
8. Cutting back on coverage – You can consider cutting back on your overall car insurance coverage if you are buying too much. People that get comprehensive car insurance may eventually realized that they bought too much coverage. You can always take the time to cut back on coverage in order to get the lowest rates.